This four-hour Basic H2S Training course is OPITO-approved and aimed at all personnel who risk exposure to hydrogen sulphide contamination at work. The fire training covers the detection and measurement of the flammable gas, plus the correct emergency response to an H2S leak. Basic H2S Training certification should be revalidated every two years.
The course includes theoretical input, demonstrations and practical exercises coupled with a written examination for delegates to demonstrate an acceptable level of competence.
The syllabus focuses on:
- Actions to be taken in the event of an alarm
- Common definitions: PPM, WEL
- How H2S is detected and the use of onsite and personnel detection equipment
- H2S gas, it’s common name where it can be ordinarily found
- Measurement and the WEL of H2S
- Physical properties and characteristics of H2S
- Physiological effects of exposure to H2S
- Role of the emergency response teams in an H2S emergency
- Types of respiratory equipment available including escape breathing apparatus and self-contained breathing apparatus
- Importance of a correct facemask fit